我的離教書目推薦

我的智商

IQ Test
Free-IQTest.net - IQ Test

Monday, December 29, 2008

War with Fundamentalists and Creationists

I was tipped off by an anonymous kid about his high school "science" teacher attempting to create doubts on Darwinian evolution theory.
That teacher quoted a tract from a notoriously conservative Chinese Christian publication, and claim that Charles Darwin himself doubted the evolution theory.

It became clear to me that the article simply quoted Darwin's "Origin of Species" Chapter Six out of context.

I started threads in a number of forums, particulary targeted to parents with high school kids -- one happens to be dedicated for Christian family. Within hours I was bombarded with angry comments from Christians, some quoted Creationism / ID tracts, some simply yell at me to "repent" or spit venom at me. A bit surprise to see that from "parents" who supposed to behave well..... until you poked at their vulnerable spot, that is, their faith.

During the process, I learned a lot and in fact consolidated my knowledge on evolution, scientific methods and others.

Some parents expressed their support for me (not openly, for they were scared of the responses by those Christian parents). They all agreed my viewpoints and appreciated my knowledge in science, and I promise them to provide my views there regularly.


"Gods are fragile things; they may be killed by a whiff of science or a dose of common sense."
Chapman Cohen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The latest issue of the "Scientific American" is about the evolution.

I think you may have interests on this article, "The Latest Face of Creationism in the Classroom"

Quote:
"Creationists who want religious ideas taught as scientific fact in public schools continue to adapt to courtroom defeats by hiding their true aims under ever changing guises...."
By Glenn Branch and Eugenie C. Scott

http://www.sciam.com/sciammag/

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=the-latest-face-of-creationism

大黃傻貓GARFIELD said...

Dear passerby

That article you provided is very informative!

Sign.... it is quite difficult to get the parents be aware of the Creationist sly and shady attempt to corrupt our science teaching!

The only hope is the information can be keep in a visible place where parents can see, and just hope they may look at it.

西洋笑話 - 次次來次次更新